The Official Test Centre (OTC) are proud to partner the Andrew Simpson Sailing Centre (ASSC) and Business by Business Consulting to present a new standard in professional instructor training, based at the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA).
Kick start your career in the marine industry with our intensive 10-12 week Professional Instructor Training. Based at the National Sailing Academy, host venue for the 2012 Olympics, you will work in partnership with the Andrew Simpson Sailing Centre and The Official Test Centre to become an experienced teacher and highly skilled personal sportsperson across 3 different water sports. Over the 10-12 weeks you will cover all the material from the RYA Dinghy Instructor, RYA Start Windsurf Instructor and BSUPA Stand-up Paddle board Instructor courses, as well as the RYA Powerboat level 2 and First Aid courses. You will gain valuable lifelong skills as a highly qualified and experienced water sports teacher, as well as progressing through your own personal ability in each of these sports.
As a student on the course, you will have opportunity to meet and work with Team GB athletes, giving you an invaluable insight into their lifestyles and training regimes. With access to the best waters in Northern Europe, and the fantastic facilities at the National Sailing Academy, you will be in the best hands to start a successful career in water sports.
The Andrew Simpson Sailing Centre is fast becoming recognised as one of the top sailing centres in the country, with a vast diverse sailing fleet and backed by the most prominent specialist sailing charity in the world.
After completion you will be a fully-qualified water sports professional, with access to many contacts in the marine industry, including the holiday sector. This support will extend beyond the end of the course and you will receive help with development throughout your career.
- Located at the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy, host of the sailing classes in 2012. It remains the RYA Olympic Team’s training venue, with facilities on site second to none.
- With strong connections in most areas of the industry, including the holiday sector, a successful student completing the PIT course will be guided towards the career that they desire in the industry, be it work in the UK, or abroad. This support will extend beyond the end of the course, keeping a student’s record on file to help career development in the future.
- The ASSC is fast becoming recognised as one of the top sailing centres in the country, with a vast diverse sailing fleet (including an Extreme 40!).
- The OTC has over 60 of the latest boards from the major brands and conducts all the tests for Windsurf Magazine, so have a constant window into the latest trends of the sport.
- The wind statistics of Portland Harbour are the best on the south coast.
- The OTC has an onsite retail shop, so all equipment from wetsuits and buoyancy aids, to your own board and sail, can be bought at a discounted rate by those on the PIT course.
- Students on the course will get a chance to meet Team GB’s athletes and quiz them about their lifestyles, schedule and hopes and training regimes.
- RYA Start Windsurf
- RYA intermediate non-planing
- RYA Intermediate Planing*
- RYA Start Windsurf Instructor
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- RYA Basic Skills
- RYA Better Sailing
- RYA Seamanship Skills*
- RYA Sailing with Spinnakers*
- RYA Start Racing*
- RYA Day Sailing*
- RYA Pre Entry Assessment
- RYA 1st Aid
- RYA Short Range Radio Certificate
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
*Subject to sailing/windsurfing ability.
In addition, Business by Business will provide the following training to ensure the best head start in the industry:
- Branding and business
- Business planning
- Workplace visits
- CV writing and mock interviews
- Event planning
- Presentation skills